Went to Venezia this weekend with other Stanford kids. We had a ton of fun.
I had my face painted, and I loved every minute.
Also thought this sign was HILARIOUS. I guess you could be naked if you want, so long as you aren't wearing a swimsuit.
Carnevale felt a bit contrived... people dress up in super ornate costumes just so other people (toursists) can take their pictures. I guess next weekend might feel more authentic... the second weekend of Carnevale is a much bigger deal because of Mardi Gras. That is when Venice has its famous masked balls! Haley and I are going. We're mustering up some of our homemaking skills and putting together our own costumes. It's going to be an amazing.
Something else that was funny was at noon on Sunday, they had their big kick off party for the week preceding mardis gras. Giant letters spelling out "angelo" descending from the tremendously high clock tower. On top of the "O" sat a man. The descent was very slow, and at the bottom, a bit of confetti shot up in at the point of contact. From the response of everyone watching in the square, you would have thought it was a zipline, stunt devil, and fireworks show. The crowd was going nuts!!! The best part, though, is that at the end of that, they started playing "gangster's paradise" on the loudspeakers. HWAH???? what country are we in again? I just about died laughing... I still fail to see the connection. Oh, globalization.
Venice is picturesque. Not sure why, but I'm in love with the clotheslines you see hanging around all european cities. Many of my classmates don't like it, but I think that the details are fascinating. In Fiesole, I saw two identical windows right next to each other: one with 3 tattered pairs of jeans hanging from a line, and right next to it was a tattered peace sign on a line. The u shape that they both made was identical. It was such a beautiful picture, and to me a powerful and revealing image. I can't quite describe it. In Venice on the waterfront, there was a clothesline with adult clothes, and right next to it was another with all baby clothes. Precious! and unlike anything I've ever seen. Anyway, won't bother you with more stories like this, but I find the clotheslines hanging around the city quite interesting.
Back to picturesque Venice... I didn't take that many pics of the city because there were so many tourists. It was sooo crowded. Interesting, writers (usually of english lit) either love or hate Venice. Either they are enamored with the beauty, or portray it as a place of lies and secrets (and general disillusionment). Historically, it has a history of gossip and informants (think Cassanova). I'm not sure why, but I expected to be more charmed by the beauty, water, and architecture. Maybe because of the crowds? Maybe it just doesn't resonate with me yet?
I did LOVE the Guggenheim Museum of Modern Art. It's in the former private home of art patron Patti Guggenheim, right on the front of a Venetian Canal. It has works by Picasso, Magritte, and many other major names in modern art. It was heavenly!
1 comment:
I think being in Venice during a tourist-attracting festival inhibits one from actually experiencing Venice. I'm not saying that your initial intuitions are mistaken (I have no opinion myself of Venice), just that you might have to reserve judgment until you can go there when the authentic face of Venice rears her aesthetic-judgment-as-yet-to-be-decided head.
Post a Comment